| Wall Street, 1910|
In 1877, John Y. Todd purchased a ranching claim along the Deschutes River. According to Todd's son, the ranch lay along a major travel route for people moving north along the river. When travelers left the ranch and headed north, knowing it was the last bend in the river along their route, they would say 'Farewell Bend'. The name stuck.
In 1885, residents settling the area filed for a post office under the name of Farewell Bend. The post office was approved and established in January, 1886, but the name shortened to Bend. Another community along the Snake River already held the official name of Farewell Bend.
To learn more about Bend the Beautiful, join us here at the museum!