While the name Deschutes originated from the French des chutes, contrary to popular assumption the name La Pine is not French.
Plated in 1910, La Pine was built next to and absorbed the tiny town of Rosland. The new name was created in reference to the abundance of pine trees in its vicinity. Until 2006, La Pine held the distinction of being the only unincorporated town in the State of Oregon, meaning it had no governing body other than Deschutes County. Voters finally approved incorporation in November 2006.