The Leon Devereaux Scholarship 2024
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
1. DEADLINE for scholarship applications is March 31, 2024, at 5:00 p.m.
2. Refer to criteria below for eligibility requirements.
3. Refer to application process below for list of supporting documents required (e.g., transcript). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
4. You will be notified in late April regarding the status of your application.
5. If you have any questions about the application process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Purpose: The Deschutes County Pioneers established a scholarship for high school seniors years ago. The Pioneers recently merged with the Deschutes County Historical Society (DCHS), and DCHS will continue awarding the scholarship. The mission of DCHS is to preserve, promote and celebrate our shared local history. The purpose of the scholarship is to carry out this mission by encouraging high school seniors in Central Oregon to foster an interest in the community’s history through qualitative and quantitative research and evaluation of archives and sources presented in a form that inspires others to learn and take action to shape the future.
Award: DCHS will award two ($1,000) nonrenewable scholarship each year.
1. Applicant must be a registered student at an accredited high school or accredited home school program in Central Oregon (defined as Deschutes, Crook and Jefferson counties).
2. Applicant must be a senior level student through the credit hours at their institution or program.
3. Applicant must have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
4. Acceptance at an institution of higher learning
Award Criteria: The scholarship application shall be evaluated, and the scholarship shall be awarded, based on the DCHS Scholarship Committee’s determination that the application is complete, that all required documents have been submitted, and that the personal essay is superior considering the following criteria: accuracy of content, organization, originality of presentation, use of available sources and resources, and appropriate references and citations.
Applicant must submit the following items:
1. Completed application form (if handwritten, please print legibly).
2. A copy of the applicant’s most recent transcript with cumulative GPA.
3. Personal essay. In your essay, please tell the story of a historical event (pre-1970) in Central Oregon or a person or group that was instrumental in some aspect of pre-1970 Central Oregon history. (Maximum 1000 words, exclusive of citations, references, etc.).
Deadline for the application is March 31, 2024, at 5:00 p.m. Applications submitted or postmarked after this date will not be considered.
Announcement of Scholarship Recipient: late April 2024
Please submit an application using the form below and attach your essay as instructed. As alternative, you may download and print the form with your information and attach an essay to following address or via email at email@example.com
Deschutes County Historical Museum
129 NW Idaho Avenue
Bend, Oregon 97701
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Deschutes County Historical Society and
Deschutes County Pioneers
The Leon Devereaux Historical Society Scholarship 2024
Please type or print your answers clearly. If the application is illegible it will be returned to you.